HOW DOES YOOGO SHARE WORK?
Yoogo Share members share electric cars that are based around the city, in community locations and at Airports.
You can book Yoogo Share cars by the minute, hour, day, night or weekend, so they're great for everything from errands around town, to weekend trips away, or when your visiting Christchurch or Auckland and you neeed wheels.
Membership is currently free, so it's a great time to join: You you just pay for the time you have a car! There's no fuel or charging costs (unless you need to charge up on long journeys) and no repair, maintenance or insurance costs.
Yoogo Share cars are currently available from 7 Christchurch hubs and 1 Auckland CBD hub, with more hubs coming soon - Download our app or visit the Locations page to find the nearest one near you. Want to see a Yoogo Share hub near you? Let us know!
HOW MUCH DOES YOOGO SHARE COST?
There are currently no membership or joining fees, you just pay for the time you book a car:
- Yoogo Share Minute - $0.46
- Yoogo Share Hour - $16.00
- Yoogo Share Day (8am-5pm) - $95
- Yoogo Share Night (5pm-8am)- $29
- Yoogo Share Weekend (Fri 5pm-Mon 8am) - $99
Bookings are billed by the Minute, until they reach the applicable capped rate, for example:
- A booking for 30 mins would be $13.80 (the Minute rate x 30)
- A booking for 45 mins would be $16.00 (the capped Hour rate)
- A booking for 1hr 15mins would cost $22.90 ($16.00 for the first hour + $6.90 for the 15 minutes after the first hour)
A 24hr travel allowance of 180km applies to all bookings. For multi-day bookings this allowance accumulates every 24hrs, for example: A weekend booking (Fri 5pm - Mon 8am) includes 540km travel allowance. Additional travel is charged at $0.40 per kilometer.
Our rate structure is tiered to charge our drivers the lowest possible rate. Bookings are billed by the Minute, until they reach the applicable capped rate, for example: A booking for 1hr 15mins would cost $22.90 ($16.00 for the first hour + $6.90 for the 15 minutes after the first hour)
To get a price estimate, log-in and enter the details of your booking. The fare will display
Some additional fees apply. See our Rates & Stuff page for a full list of rates and fees.
WHO CAN JOIN YOOGO SHARE?
Yoogo Share can be joined by local and international drivers who:
- Are aged 21 years or older
- Have held a full current driver licence for a minimum of 3 years
Overseas drivers must have been in NZ for less than 12 months and hold a full overseas driver licence or international driver permit that is in English, or has an accurate English translation, with validity of a minimum of three years or longer.
HOW FAR CAN YOOGO SHARE EVS TRAVEL ON A SINGLE CHARGE?
- Both the Hyundai IONIQ and BMW i3 have up to 200km range on a single charge.
- Actual range depends on your driving style, load weight and use of AC and heaters.
- Want some pro-tips on getting the most range out of a single charge? Read: 10 ways to boost your EV's range
CAN I RETURN THE CAR TO A DIFFERENT HUB/CAR PARK?
One-way travel is available between our Christchurch Airport hub & the West End car park hub, and Christchurch Airport hub & The Crossing car park hub.
All other hubs are currently available for round-trip travel only.
HOW DO I APPLY A PROMO CODE?
If you've recieved a Yoogo Share promo or referral code, simply create a booking as usual and apply the promo code before confirming your booking:
- Select pick-up hub, date, time and vehicle
- Enter promo code
- Apply the promo code
- Confirm your booking
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I TRAVEL ON A TOLL ROAD?
- Payment for driving on toll roads is the drivers responsibility.
- Please pay your toll on the day you travel on the road at www.nzta.govt.nz
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF THE CAR DOESN’T UNLOCK AT START OF BOOKING?
- You’re within 15 mins of your booking time
- You’re at the right car (check car name & registration plate)
- You’ve tapped your Yoogo Share access card on reader on windscreen (on ‘tap here’ sticker)
- You’ve waited 2 mins since making your booking
If you still have no success, call us on 0800 GO SHARE & we’ll get you sorted straight away.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I’M INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT?
- Stay safe – move the car off the road if possible.
- Call 111 Emergency Services immediately if anyone is injured.
- Call us on 0800 GO SHARE (0800 467 4273) and we’ll get you sorted straight away.
- Ask for contact details of the other driver(s) and note licence plate number(s).
- Take photos of the damage.
- If you’re a business user, call your Manager and complete an Incident Report.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF THE CAR BREAKS DOWN?
Call us on 0800 GO SHARE (0800 467 4273) and we’ll get you sorted straight away.
WHAT DO I DO IF I CAN’T REMOVE THE CHARGER FROM THE CAR?
Tap your access card on reader on windscreen to unlock the car. Without delay, unplug the charger (you have 10 seconds with the Hyundai Ioniq). If the charger doesn’t unlatch, lock & unlock the car again.
WHERE CAN I CHARGE THE CAR?
- Yoogo Share hubs have charging units with cables attached which fit both the BMW i3 and the Hyundai Ioniq. You can charge your car at the hub you got it from (excluding Christchurch Airport).
- At home – all of our cars have a 3 pin cable in the boot. Just plug it into a normal 3 pin socket. Never use an extension cable when charging. Those provided in the car are the only ones that should be used to charge.
- On the road there are an ever growing number of free and paid charging units:
- Plan your journey on PlugShare to find charging units along your route.
- Free AC charging units usually require a BYO Type2 charging cable. All Yoogo Share Hyundai IONIQs have a Type2 cable in the boot.
- Free and paid DC fast charging units always have charging cables attached.
- ChargeNetChargeNet operate New Zealand's paid charger network. Register for a ChargeNet account before heading away on a long trip.
- Free Orion Public Chargers in Canterbury can be activated with a Yoogo Share access card.
RETURNING THE CAR FROM OVERNIGHT & WEEKEND BOOKINGS – LEVEL OF CHARGE REQUIRED?
Please return cars with an 80% charge, so drivers using cars during business hours have enough juice to get around. t
You can either use the 3 pin cable for charging at home, return the car prior to 8am so it has enough time to charge on Yoogo Share charging units, or use a public charging station.
HOW LONG DOES THE CAR TAKE TO FULLY CHARGE (FROM EMPTY)?
- Yoogo Share Fast Charger = 30 mins
- Yoogo Share Regular Charger = Hyundai 4 hours, BMW 2 hours
- 3 pin cable at home = up to 15 hours
WHAT DO I DO IF IT LOOKS LIKE I COULD RUN OUT OF POWER?
Don’t risk running out of power. Call us on 0800 GO SHARE and we’ll sort you out.
WHAT DO I DO IF I RUN OUT OF POWER?
Don’t attempt to restart the car. Call us on 0800 GO SHARE and we’ll sort you out.
WHERE DO I FIND HOW MANY KM’S I HAVE LEFT?
Look on the digital display on the dashboard. If you’re worried about the range, try switching off the air-conditioning /heater or change the drive mode (the switch between the seats) to an eco mode to conserve power.
WHY DOES THE CAR FEEL LIKE ITS BRAKING WHEN I TAKE MY FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR?
It’s called regenerative braking. It’s the car’s way of gaining back electricity through the braking process, and is unique to electric vehicles.
DAMAGE? WHAT ARE THE INSURANCE COSTS?
For private users, the insurance excess for damage is $2,000. For business users, please ask your Fleet Manager. We recommend you walk around & check the vehicle before you use it. If there’s any damage, take a photo & call 0800 GO SHARE before you start your booking. Alternatively make a note and email the details to email@example.com
HOW DO I GET IN & OUT OF THE CAR PARK BUILDINGS?
The exit barrier will automatically recognise each of the Yoogo Share licence plates. If the barrier doesn’t lift straight away, if there is room try reversing carefully a little (about 2 meters if possible) and re-approach slowly. If the barrier still doesn’t lift, press the HELP button and the staff will remotely lift the barrier.
WHAT DO I DO IF THERE ARE NO AVAILABLE YOOGO SHARE CAR PARKS WHEN I RETURN MY CAR?
You do need to return your car to the same hub/car park where you collected it from. If there are no Yoogo Share spaces, lock and leave your vehicle in a nearby legal parking space. Please call 0800 GO SHARE to notify us immediately. If possible, please record or photograph any non-Yoogo Share vehicles parked in the Yoogo Share bays.
WHAT ARE THE HAZARDS WHEN DRIVING YOOGO SHARE CARS
There are a few potential hazards to be aware of when using Yoogo Share EVs - mainly because of the fact they are powered by electricity. Find out about those hazards and what we do to minimuise them on our Keeping Safe page.
CAN I EAT, DRINK OR SMOKE IN THE CAR? WHAT ABOUT PETS?
Apart from water, please don’t eat, drink or smoke in the car. You’re sharing the car with others so, sorry, no pets allowed in the cars either.
ARE MY PERSONAL DETAILS SAFE?
Yes they are. We do not hold any credit card data. We use the PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) compliant 3rd party credit card provider, Braintree, to process all transactions & store all credit card data.
DO YOU HAVE OWNERS MANUALS AVAILABLE?
Yes we do. Head on over to the Our Cars page and download the OEM quick guides for our cars.